The Open Call provides artists and curators within the St. Louis region necessary resources to present an exhibition at The Dark Room Gallery. All artists and curators are invited to submit proposals for a solo or group exhibition and the selected artists will receive support from the curator including studio visits, professional, archival printing, and installation guidance in preparation for the exhibition. The Dark Room has an ongoing submission process and proposals will be considered for the upcoming 2019 season and beyond.
Note: Due to the volume of exhibition proposal submissions, we are unable to send any form of response or feedback. No hard copy submissions are accepted.
Dark Room Exhibition Open Call is for artist and curators who:
- Do not have current, consistent commercial gallery representation
- Have a demonstrated studio/curatorial practice outside an academic setting
- Are of any nationality, but will reside in the United States for the exhibition
- The exhibition program is open to artist and curators working with a lens-based discipline (including video)
- Consideration will be given to artists who present concepts or topics that are not well-represented in the commercial sector
- The Dark Room Gallery encourages applicants to consider our expansive audience and the Kranzberg Arts Foundation mission
- A short synopsis of your exhibition- up to 60 words
- Detailed exhibition proposal that includes an artist statement, the concept, intent, and plan for the exhibition, and the relationship of the work samples to your proposal- up to 1000 words
- Narrative Bio, for press usage- up to 200 words
- IMAGES/Work Samples:
- Upload up to 10 images in JPEG, PNG, or PDF format
- Files should be named: ARTISTNAME_01.jpg
- Images should be optimized for web/screen preview and no larger than 2MB each.
- VIDEO: up to 4 URL links (Vimeo preferred). 3-minute max. sample
Artists will be accepted for exhibition in the 500 sq. foot Dark Room Gallery. The total number of works displayed should be no more than 12-15 depending on the exhibition. Any lens-based work is accepted that is ready to be attached to the gallery walls. Submission does not guarantee exhibition in the gallery.